måndag 10 oktober 2016

Teaching

When I'm here in Nebbi I'm part time volunteering in the Action Aid office and part time volunteering in a primary school. Today I had a really good day at the school. We have been doing volumes of different geometric objects and now we are applying it to measure the capacity in liters and milliliters of different containers. Today I brought a 1.5 liter bottle full of water and an empty 500 ml bottle and asked them how many times I could use the water in the big bottle to fill the small one. Some of the students guessed it could be done 2 times, some 3 times and some 2.5 times. We then calculated how many times it should be possible (and arrived at 3) and finally I started emptying the bigger bottle into the smaller one to confirm it. The students got really into it and the suspense had been built up while doing the calculation. By the time I was filling the smaller bottle for the third time they were actually cheering and clapping their hands. Sometimes teaching is so rewarding!

1 kommentar: